Sunday, February 18, 2007

Playing in NAD Park

NAD Park (an old Naval Artillary Depot), is located near Bremerton Naval Station, on the Kitsap Peninsula in Washington. The park has a wonderful disc golf course that winds through 20 acres of old growth forest. Seth is standing in front of an F-18 Cruiser at the entrance. Seth went through Marine Corps OCS in college and had a guaranteed flight spot, but he turned it down when he was accepted to medical school. I cannot say I blame him, but I think I would have delayed med school for a chance to go warp speed in one of these bad boys!!! A lecture hall can always wait, as far as I'm concerned (as evidenced by my advanced age).

We love to come out here when we want to just mess around for a couple of hours. I'd say it's relaxing, but if you have ever played golf, of any sort, you also know how frustrating it can be. This course, in particular, is very unpredictable, becuase there are so many trees. I swear they put tree magnets in those discs!!!


Sometimes the disc can be very hard to find becuase it will skid under trees, leaves, or branches. We try to buy brightly colored or tye-dyed discs to aid in the search and recovery process. :)

Other times, the disc will get stuck in the mud or in water. This one isn't so bad...


You can see the "target" that we shoot for in the background. Each hole has a Tee Box and a Target. The targets have chains, and usuallly if you hit anywhere in the chains, it will hang on to the disc, which will drop into the basket. Sometimes, frustratingly, that doesn't happen.


This is me putting for par on one of the more difficult holes.
I was out in the "rough" here. I'm just happy I found the disc!!!
















Seth is standing in front of a classic
moss covered rotting tree. I love the way old growth forest smells.
















We actually made FRIENDS with a dog (a pitt bull, no less) today. That sort of balanced out the experience from the day before. :)This is Seth teeing off. It sounds crazy, but we have golf bags, because we have special driver discs, mid-range discs, putters, and specialty discs that do different things. One is called a Firebird, and if you throw it a certain way is will arc first left, and then hard right, so you can get around trees and other obstacles.
This is Seth with his very sexy Smokey the Bear "Only You" Hat. As someone on the bus told hm the other day, "It takes a real man to wear a hat like that." I love how much fun Seth is.










I just like getting oustide and playing. That is something that will never change.
It was a great day for a walk and game in the old growth forests of the Olympic Peninsula. I'm glad I'm on this path with Seth.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer L'Hommedieu Stankus said...

There are courses all over the world, which you can find at the following link:

http://www.pdga.com/course/index.php

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home