Saturday, November 04, 2006

Pre-Clincal Years

I don't write much about school. There really isn't much to write about. It is mostly just sitting in a classroom all day and taking test after test. It's a grind and it pretty much sucks. So for now, I focus on those things outside of school which keep me sane, happy, and balanced.

Going into medical school, one of my interests was Emergency Medicine, due to my experience in mountain rescue, ambulance, and ski patrol. One of the few medical organizations that offers true participation by medical students is the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP). I wanted to use my experience as a medical malpractice defense attorney in some way, so I applied to sit on a national medical legal committee with the ACEP. I was surprised, but delighted, to be accepted, and I have held that position since the beginning of MS-1. As part of my duties, each year I attend the organizing meeting which is held during the National Scientific Assembly. It's a HUGE conference, it's a ton of fun, and it gives me an excuse to do things like skip the cardiovascular mid-term. :) This year, my husband came with me and had a chance to meet all of my new friends. This is a picture of us in New Orleans at the President's Reception. The champaign was flowing and they handed out these sweet masks.
We had a blast. It re-energized me. I live for breaks like these. I cannot WAIT for these two years to be over! I learn by doing, not by sitting in a lecture hall for 5 hours straight.

Proper nutrition is important as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home